Custom Search

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Happy Deepavali - Malai Peda and Seedai

I wanted to add a nutritious recipe, but here is Deepavali, So I made many goodies for Deepavali. First, I would like to wish all readers, bloggers, web community and their families a Happy and Prosperous Deepavali. And here is what I made - Seedai and Malai Peda. The recipe follows:



Malai Peda

This is my mom's favourite sweet so I sent her in India Malai peda and thought of making too :-) It's a famous north indian sweet and is made in Gujarat lots. This is a short method so it needs very less time.


Ingredients:

Condensed Milk - 1 tin
Butter - 4 table spoons
Milk Powder - 8 Tablespoons
Almond/Pista - For Decoration [Almond soaked, peeled and cut into pieces]
Saffron - 8 to 10 strands


Preparation:

1. Heat a pan, add butter.
2. After butter is melted, add milk. Put the heat in sim and add milk powder slowly little by little and keep stirring.
3. Add Saffron powder and keep stirring until the mix has become a little brownish and lot thicker. You can wait until the mixture does not stick on the pan. The consistency should be as little less than halwa... ;-)
4. Remove from heat and let it cool.
5. After it is cold, make small balls out of it and press a little bit on top. Decorate it with Almond or Pistachios.
And thatz it, the making time is just 10 minutes.... So Enjoy!!


Seedai

This is a very popular festive snack in Tamil Nadu. Its tasty and an all time favourite snack.

Here it comes:




Ingredients:

Rice flour - 2 cups
Rava/Semolina - 3/4 cup
Butter - 2 table spoons
Jeera - 5 tsps
Asafoetifa/Perungayam - 2 tsps
Oil- For frying
Salt - 2 tsps or As Required


Preparation:

1. Dry Roast rice flour and Rava together(in low flame) in a pan until the raw smell goes. Once done, remove from heat, let it cool.
2. Heat the butter in a pan and when it is hot, add it to the flour rava mixture. PS: This would make sure that less oil is being used up for frying. This is my mom's super trick.
3. Add Jeera and asafoetida and mix this with some water and make sure the miture is dry such that you can make small ball of it.
4. Heat oil in a pan for frying. Now add the seedai in the oil and fry in low flame.

And Voila, here is some crunchy, crispy and tasty seedai.

I hope you liked the sweet as well as the savoury. Let me know!

This is my contribution for JFI Nov '08 Festival Treat. This is my first contribution to these round ups. I am happy that I made it this time. Thanks for hosting Srivalli.

4 comments:

Srivalli said...

Both the entries are looking so yum!

Anonymous said...

Malai Peda looks too good.I would definitely try them......

TestingSalesforce said...

woweee..kalakreeeeeeeeeee

Reshma said...

@Srivalli - Thanks so much, Thanks for hosting these interesting events...

@Rani - Yes, Try them out and let me know how it came!!

@Anu - Thanks Anu :-)